Dec 8, 2012

Christmas Tree Decorations

This year, being far away from home and all my Christmas decorations, I opted to use my craft stash to help decorate our new tree. We left the big nice one at home and bought a little "apartment friendly" one here in Singapore. I decided to make a string banner and some snowflake ornaments. 

I started with the Spellbinders Banner die cuts and my Cuttlebug machine.
 I chose a pack of older holiday papers that I have had sitting in my stash for a few years. I went crazy with the cutting. I would love to move home without one page of old paper so I can get all new when I get back to the states ; )  
Before I cut the banner, I folded the paper so it would be double sided when they popped out. I put runners tape on both sides and sealed it over my ribbon.

 I also tried some rope as seen below. But its rounder and thicker, so the banner had a harder time staying put. I would recommend using a thin, flat ribbon of some kind. But this is what it looked like strung up!

Next I took some Papertrey Ink felt in Pure Poppy and Fresh Snow with their Snowflake die cuts and ran them through the Cuttlebug.

I took the corresponding stamp set (also by Papertrey Ink) and Palette Noir ink and stamped the image right onto the felt. It gave it a nice muted tone which I really like.

I punched holes in the top with my Crop-a-dile and added some hooks. And this is what they look like!

My tree is so small I really didn't need many. I think I ended up with 10-15 of them. Between these, the banner and a few silver globes, there was enough to fill up the tree perfectly!

And for some reason, I can't upload the final photo of the entire tree! Grrrr! Sometimes, technology just gets me, you know?! Well, anyway. It looks lovely and festive! I'm really glad I got to do it all myself this year instead of relying on buying things. Part because it is SO expensive (especially in Singapore) and partly because it really made a homespun look and it was just what I needed being so far away from my home and family. It really helped me get into the spirit of the season!





1 comment:

Patti J said...

SO good to see you pop up here on my screen Kristie! Your hand made ornaments and garland are perfect for your home away from home! Hopefully, you will be back here soon...I'm sure you are missing family like crazy. Hugs and blessings, sweet lady!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.